Saturday, April 26, 2008

Tried Sushi today - Yummy!

Greg and I have the whole weekend to ourselves. Dakota is away at a youth retreat for the weekend. Last night we went out to Red Lobster for dinner.

This morning I made us a big breakfast and we laid around the house for a little while just being lazy. There was a sale at JCPenney's I wanted to check out so we headed over to the mall and I was able to snag 2 shirts ($6.56) and 2 pair of capris ($16.00) on clearance AND I had a $10.00 off coupon so I was very happy!

When Greg asked me what I wanted to do about lunch I told him I wanted him to take me to try Sushi. He likes it and eats it quite often. Some of my friends talk about it all the time but I have always been too scared to try it - I am such a picky eater. Greg knows what I like and don't like so I trust him to pick out the right thing for me to eat. He gladly accepted the challenge...almost too happily. I started to worry for a minute there!

I first chose some sort of shrimp roll but Greg vetoed that one - he said that was too much like what I already eat and he wanted me to try a "fishy" sushi so I could see that I would truly like it. I nervously let him choose my meal. He chose a "Biloxi Roll." It was scallops (my most favorite seafood in the world!!) wrapped in rice with either tuna or salmon laid across the top...I had two rolls so I had one of each fish across the rolls. I have to admit I did love it! I'm eager to try some of the other types I saw on the menu next time.

The only thing I didn't like about it was how big the pieces were. My mouth is very small and it was difficult putting that whole thing in my mouth and then trying to chew it up - it almost made me gag a couple of times...next time I'll have to ask for a knife and cut it in half. I'm sure that is not the proper thing to do but that's what will work for me.

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

I like raw oysters but never tried sushi

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

rebekeh - If you like raw oysters (and I know I do) you'll like sushi.

Elisa - Actually, eating sushi is not nearly as "formal" as folks make it out to be. Cutting it with a knife is ok. Picking it up with your hands is ok, too. It's one of my favorite things to eat. Try some of the basics and go with Nigiri Sushi. Nigiri is basically a slice of fish sitting on rice that is hand formed or squeezed. The fish is on top and forms around the rice underneath. Try salmon, yellow fin and tuna. These are bigger than the rolls (Maki). Maki is a roll and can come in many forms. Try a spicy tuna roll sometime--awesome.

Unknown said...

Rebecca - I don't like raw oysters...not that I have ever tried them, but can't stand the look of them. BLECH!! YUCK!

BD - I saw that Nigiri on the menu and asked the waiter what it was! I will definitely try it next time.