Thursday, April 10, 2008

Dakota's new contacts

Dakota got his contacts yesterday!!
He loves them! He was so cute after first putting them in - I thought he was going to cry (I'm thinking because they are bothering him or he was embarrassed when the lady was putting them in his eye or something like that) but he was just so happy with how well he could see and with NOT having glasses on his face. He has worn glasses since he was 3-yrs-old so this is a big deal for him.

However, last night after church we came straight home so he could remove them from his eyes...he was only supposed to keep them in for 4 hours the first day and it had already been 5 hours. He got the right one out without any problem but the left one took about 45 mins to get out. He got extremely frustrated and began to cry. He started saying "I can't do this" over and over and told me "That's it, I'm not wearing contacts anymore!"

It reminded me of a pregnant woman when she has been in labor for a long time and she's about to deliver and she starts crying "That's it! I can't do it anymore! I don't want to do this!!"
That point of no return...in times like this I quote my favorite verse over and over and over in my head (or out loud if the timing is right.)
"I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13

I told Dakota "you ARE going to do this, nobody else is going to do it for you! You ARE going to put these back in tomorrow and wear them because I remember how excited you were when you first put them in today even if you don't remember right now. You CAN do this because millions of other people do this every day and you will learn how to do it just like millions of other people have learned...so dry up the tears and try again and again and again until you get it out of your eye!"

A few more attempts and success...he's still sleeping now - *sigh* but, I'm sure the battle will soon begin after he wakes up...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My brother is an optometrist, and he swears by contacts...he said for some people it can take a really long time to get used to them, but they are worth it. You told him the right thing. And he does look really cute!

Rebekah said...

Good for him. What a cute face.

Monica said...

I got contacts at about that age and remember just feeling miserable. I gave them up for a while and and went back to them in high school which was much better.

He has beautiful eyes, that's for sure.