Friday, April 11, 2008

Saving on Groceries

Someone asked me yesterday about my CVS savings and if I saved at the grocery store as well as I do at CVS and Walgreen's. Over the last 2 months of shopping at the drugstores I have discovered I am actually spending less time in the grocery store.

I am able to purchase about 40% of what we eat at the drugstores - and I combine my coupons with their weekly specials AND in-store coupons as well as use CVS Extra Care Bucks to control my out-of-pocket expense. About the only thing I am purchasing at the grocery store these days is around the outer edges of the store (meats, produce, dairy, frozen food.)

How to get the BEST Grocery Savings:
I mentioned once before that Winn-Dixie is my favorite place to shop.
Meats
Every week they run different BOGOF (buy one get one free) specials on their meat. I don't ever purchase any meat unless it is drastically reduced (manager's special because it's close to expiration) or it's BOGOF.
For example, in this week's ad the meat BOGOF specials are:
  • Boneless Top Round London Broil
  • Center Cut Boneless Pork Chops
  • Split Chicken Breasts
So I will only stock up on these meats this week and once I actually get to the store and see what other Manager Special's there happen to be I might pick up some great deals on those as well. If not, then this will be it for this week.

Produce
I don't have any local Farmer's Markets close to me so I have to purchase my produce at the grocery store. I very rarely find coupons for produce, although I have been able to find a few for pre-packaged salads (which I happen to love!)
In this week's ad the produce specials I'll be picking up are these:
  • 2 lb bag carrots - .99 - probably grab a couple of these since we love carrots
  • cucumbers - 2/$1
  • 3 lb bag tangerines - 2/$4 (only need 1 bag of these)
  • Romaine lettuce - .99/bunch
  • Broccoli - 2 heads/$3.00
  • Dole classic salads (bagged) - 2/$4.00 - have a coupon for this to save $1.00
  • Cantaloupe - .99 (these are at Albertson's this week for 2/$2.99)
  • Strawberries - 2/$5.00
Now at Walgreen's this week they have boxes of Post cereal on sale for $2.00 and I have coupons for $1.00 and $2.00 off some of these so I'll either pay $1.00 or these will be free. Some other food specials I'm going to take advantage of today (especially with the coupon $5.00 off $20.00 purchase):
  • Planters Trail Mix (limit 3) $1.00 bag
  • Pringles Stix 2/$5 (have 2 coupons for .30 off each)
  • Ravioli $1.00 (same price at Winn-Dixie - but will pay for it with Register Rewards)
  • Oscar Mayer Ham & Kraft Singles Cheese 2/$4 (will use RR to pay for it)
I actually have a ton of stuff I have been wanting to purchase this week at Walgreen's. I had my deals all worked out and my coupons paperclipped together but I never had the time to get by the store. Now I praise God that I didn't have the time! Because I can use that $5/$20 coupon today!

No comments: