Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Blues are going away

I went to the Rheumatologist early last week about my fibromyalgia and was prescribed a new medication to try. As the weekend approached I was feeling exhausted, weary, depressed, angry and couldn't quite figure out what was wrong with me.

Saturday evening Dakota and I went to a function at church (a talent show) and I sat away from everyone because I just didn't want to be bothered - I felt lousy. It was everything I could do to keep myself awake. When the show was over we stood around talking for a few minutes and Dakota best friend (our pastor's son) was asking if Dakota could go home with them for awhile...I was secretly praying no because I didn't want to have to come back out and pick him up...well they did say no because they had running around to do. Dakota and I left and went to Sonny's BBQ to grab some dinner. While we were there, the pastor and his family came in along with another friend's family that was there at the talent show. When they saw us there they came over and invited us to come sit with them - but we already had our food at this point and I just wanted to finish eating and go home to bed. Dakota was upset with me because his friends were over there - obviously he wanted to go sit with them.

Sunday morning when I woke up I was dizzy and just not feeling well. I went to make sure Dakota was up and getting ready for church. We started working on getting his contacts in. He wasn't having much luck with them and had about reached the point of not wanting to wear them anymore. I was cranky and made him cry. By the time we left for church I was mad and he was crying...not a good combination for a Sunday morning and something I try very hard to keep from happening. When we got to church he got out of the truck and headed towards Sunday School...I sat there and cried and cried and cried. I text messaged my parents to let them know I was going back home and to please pick Dakota up (we go to the same church) and I headed back home. I crawled into bed and fell asleep and I stayed asleep for several hours until late Sunday afternoon.

We had a church picnic/fish fry that afternoon and I normally go to all of these events and take pictures - but I missed this one. I slept right through it. My cell phone vibrated all afternoon with people calling to find out where I was but I didn't hear it...I slept right through the vibrating.

Later on after I had woke up I was thumbing through a Newsweek magazine and one of the first things I came to was a big advertisement for the new medicine I'm taking, with a caution "This medicine may not be suitable for everyone...if you experience these symptoms, discontinue use and let your physician know...." and there listed my symptoms in black & white. Praise God! I'm NOT going crazy! It's that stupid medicine!

As of Sunday I have discontinued the use of that medicine and I am already feeling much better than I was when I was taking it! My blues are going away!!

1 comment:

Marshamlow said...

Finding the right medication is always such an ordeal. Seems like divine intervention that you happened upon that ad at just the right time. I started wearing contacts at the age of 8 or 9 because I had sustained an injury to my right eye and only needed that one eye corrected. While initially it is more difficult for me to put the lens in myself it was for me better when I was completely responsible for my contacts on my own. Perhaps he could practice in the afternoon or evening to learn the art of inserting a lens. I am sure that he will be able to get it soon. It is a lot easier to stick something in your own eye than to have someone else sticking something in your eye. Good luck.