Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Internet Browsers

I began using Mozilla's Firefox several months ago and can I just tell ya I'm in love with this browser?? I installed it on Dakota's laptop and put some cool add-ons on there for him but he refuses to use this browser...he just doesn't know what he's missing out on. If you aren't using Mozilla Firefox, give it a try and try these add-ons while you are it - I've given a brief explanation of each one - they are SOOOOO cool!!

  • Session Manager - this saves and restores the state of all windows - either when you want it or automatically at startup or after crashes. Additionally it offers you to reopen (accidentally) closed windows and tabs. This has been a LIFESAVER!! Several times I've been right in the middle of working on something and have had 5-6 tabs (windows) open and our power has gone out - due to storm, etc - and as soon as I turn my computer back on Session Manager gives me the option of opening right back up to where I left off. The other great thing is I have my favorite websites I like to check every morning (news, email, myspace, bloglines, bank acct) - I opened them all up in different tabs and set them as "My Favorites" session so when I first turn my computer on every morning I can now click on just that session "My Favorites" and it automatically opens up all those websites in different tabs...I just go and hit refresh in each one and they are ready for me to start my morning.
  • Cool Iris Previews - this allows you to browse and share web links and rich media faster. Just mouse over any link, and the Cooliris preview window immediately appears to show you the content. To email it, just click. It's so awesome because you can view other "browser windows" within windows without actually opening a window - and you can scroll around in the window and click on things you want to look at. If you decide you want to save that "link" to look at later you just hit "Stack" and it will stack it over on the right side of your screen to save it for you.
  • AdBlock Plus - makes surfing faster because it blocks all those annoying ads and banners on internet pages! You have to remember you have this installed though because there are times I have to "disable" it on pages and hit refresh because I have needed to see something on the page that it has actually blocked...but it's no big deal to do that. It just took some getting used to remembering that's why I couldn't see things - I was blocking them!! DUH!
  • ScribeFire - is a full-featured blog editor that integrates with your browser and lets you easily post to your blog. In other words...there's a little notebook shaped icon sitting down in the right hand side of my task bar and when I feel like blogging about something I click on that notebook and up pops this little box (similar to what I would type in if I was actually at my blog's website) and I just start typing away...when I'm done I hit submit and it posts it to my blog (because I've already previously set my preferences so it knows where to send my posts.)
Well those are the four add-ons that I use every single day. If you are interested and visit the add-ons page you'll notice there are literally hundreds - read the reviews, find what works for you and don't worry about having to "Restart Firefox" each time....the beauty of Firefox is it will bring you right back to where you left off! Happy Surfing!

3 comments:

Britni said...

I do a lot of web design and they have a great web design toolbar that gives you all kinds of helpful tips. I love it!

Katrine said...

I just began using Firefox last week. Thanks for your tips because I'm still trying to figure it all out!

GiBee said...

I love Firefox... I especially love that I can have open a zillion tabs at one time. When I'm at work, I have to use Explorer, and I feel handicapped!