Wednesday, June 25, 2008

WFMW: Postcard Kids

A couple years ago I signed up for a yahoo group called Postcard Kids. The idea behind this is to see if you can trade postcards with somebody from every state and as many countries as you can. I pinned a large United States map and a world map up on our wall and everytime Dakota and I received a new postcard we would find the state or country it came from and put a small sticky flag on there. This helps Dakota when we study Geography during homeschooling. I always request the person mailing us the postcard to write some sort of interesting tidbit about their area on the back of the postcard.
Here's some of our collection and a few favorites...













This one shows the outdoor market in Malaysia.













St. Petersburg, Russia


















New Zealand - we actually traded boxes with a family in New Zealand (not just a postcard.) They stuffed a shoebox full of neat candy, books and things from where they live and we did the same thing. It was interesting to try some of the candy they mailed us.

For more Works-For-Me-Wednesday tips, head on over to Rocks In My Dryer!

4 comments:

jan said...

What a neat idea! I've never heard of Postcard Kids before, but I bet my sons would love it.
Thanks for sharing!

ttelroc said...

That is so cool!! I'll have to tell my sister about this, she might be able to get her daughters involved.

Thanks!!
Kristin

Rebekah said...

that is such a cool idea. What a great way to learn about other places- and feel some sort of connection

Monica said...

This is new to me- my kids would love it and it would be a great way to get some extra geography in our homeschool. Thanks for the tip.