Monday, June 30, 2008

Cost of Living

I am a member of a local online forum made up of moms. That's one of my day jobs - I get paid to moderate this forum of 1200+ women. The topics are always interesting, funny and lively and they oftentimes get heated as you can imagine when you have this many women offering opinions, comments and suggestions.

Recently one of the moms cried out in frustration about her family's rising grocery, gas and utility bills and asked for help/suggestions on how to get through the day-to-day needs on one-income. She stated it wasn't worth it for her to go back to work with her little ones at home because if she were to go back to work the daycare costs would eat up whatever money she earned. She feels like a prisoner in her own home as she sits there day in and day out not going anywhere because she can't justify spending the money it would take on gas for her to get out for a little while.

I was curious to see what the replies to her desperate cry for help were going to be...unfortunately, there really weren't any answers or suggestions for this woman...but there were lots and lots of women who understood her and could empathize with her. There was a sisterhood. Everybody is in the same boat. Everyone is feeling the crunch whether it's at the gaspumps or at the grocery store. We are all in this together.

My family has had to adjust just like everyone else. It's not fun but we get used to it and we deal with it...
  • I sit home most every day of the week except for Saturdays and Sundays...so I save on gasoline. Greg drives to and from work and picks up things for me on his way home if I need it during the week.
  • I clip coupons, and buy as much as I can at CVS using their extrabucks program (that way I am using THEIR money and not mine!) I comparison shop at the grocery stores and stockpile using sales and coupons for the best savings.
  • I cook at home during the week for all 3 meals.
  • I never buy clothes, shoes, etc that isn't drastically reduced...I'm talking like more than $3.00-$5.00 a piece and I probably won't buy it because I know I can hold out and wait for the clearance sale.
What are some ways your family is coping with the gasoline/food prices? I'd love to hear how you do it.

No comments: