Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Family Life

Tina (one of my daughters), her husband Bryant and their daughter Bailee are being transferred to Albany, GA in a couple of months. They live in San Diego, CA now.
I am so excited because they will be much closer to us now! Instead of a 26-hour drive it will only be about a 4-hour drive! Bryant is in the Marines and is being transferred to the base there. They have enjoyed San Diego, other than being so far from home (and family.) I enjoyed going out there to visit them the two times I went out there last year. I had never been to CA before that.

When Bryant came back from his tour in Iraq last February Tina was living with us in FL. She had been pregnant with Bailee when he got deployed and she didn't want to be alone in CA during her pregnancy and delivery. Tina is in labor and talking to Bryant (who is in Iraq) on her cell phone - his commanding officer allowed him to have the day off and he stayed on the phone with us for about 3-4 hours...until Bailee was born. We had him on speakerphone and set the phone on a table beside the bed so he could hear everything and we could all talk to him and he could talk to us.


When he came home and met his daughter for the first time she was 3 months old already.


Tina and Bryant had eloped in CA the previous February and they decided to have a small wedding (for family's sake) when Bryant returned from Iraq and before they moved back to CA.

They invited just family and a handful of friends and our pastor renewed their vows with them at a beachside setting. We went back to Bryant's sisters house afterwards for a small reception and then Bailee came home with me while Tina and Bryant had a night to themselves. A few days later they were expected to fly out to begin their new life in CA.


While they were still in FL though they traded in Bryant's gas hog BIG truck for a more economical new car. Hmmm, and when I asked them how they were going to get their new car to CA since they were supposed to catch a plane the next day they asked me if I would drive it there for them. WHAT??!! I thought they were joking. I just dismissed it as a joke and didn't respond to them. I half-heartedly mentioned it to Greg later on that evening and he said "Yeah, you should go." WHAT??!! "Has everybody lost their mind?"

The next day the whole family met at Cracker Barrel for breakfast and to say goodbye to Tina and Bryant before Greg and I drove them to Mobile, AL to catch their plane. While at Cracker Barrel they asked me if I had made up my mind about driving to CA and when could I leave. After much discussion over breakfast I finally decided "Why not!?"

The next day Dakota and I left for our cross country road trip...

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

That is such a sweet post about their marriage and the birth of Bailee. I am envious of your cross country trip though. If they ever need someone to dirve their car again....