Saturday, April 18, 2009

Basil and Oregano

I purchased these little kits of Basil and Oregano in the Dollar Spot area at Target. They were $1.00 each and both came with pot, package of seeds, and soil. I was curious to see what happened and if they would really grow. The soil that came in the packet was like a quarter-sized hard pellet and I had to drop it in a little bit of water and let it sit for about five minutes. Once the pellet absorbed the water it opened up and was just like regular soil. Pretty neat the way it worked.

Last Saturday I planted these. I am amazed at how quickly they are growing! The pot on the right has tall, thin shoots coming up as well but you can't really see it in the picture.
There were so many seeds in the package that I didn't want to put all of them in the small pots so I planted the rest in this egg crate. They are growing just as fast! Now that I know they are going to grow I guess I'll be moving them into a bigger pot. I love watching plants grow right before my eyes!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

MOMSWEB said...

Girl, thanks for this reminder. We were supposed to be doing something like this two weeks ago. More STUFF (smile).

SmockLady said...

Hi, I found you via BlogHer ads. Anyway, those little hard packs of dirt are called peat pellets. Have you never used them before? We use them every year to start our garden. I love growing Basil! and Sage! I could go one and on. :D I like to eat fresh tomato sandwiches in the summer made from homemade bread, fresh home grown tomatoes, fresh picked Basil, and homemade mayonnaise.

OK, now I'm hungry. Those little guys will huge in no time! Enjoy them.