Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Why oh why?

Dakota is 12 yrs old. He likes his hair down on his forehead (because he doesn't like his forehead to show...don't ask me why because I don't have a clue?) just touching the top of his glasses. He doesn't want long hair but he doesn't want really short hair either. The picture above is from Saturday a week ago.

Greg is 47 yrs old. He keeps his hair very short and spiky. He hates Dakota's hair on his forehead, on his ears and on his neck.

These two go round and round about the hair constantly. I don't get it. Why does it have to be that big of a deal??! This has been going on for years too! Now, last night, Greg got his clippers out that he cuts his hair with and he "trimmed" Dakota's hair. I am not even going to put a picture on here of Dakota now - it looks terrible!

Dakota came out of the bathroom mad at ME! For not "protecting" him I guess. I was washing dishes and he walked past me and said "Thanks mom! I really appreciate you helping me! Thanks alot! Now look what he did."

I am going to take him to get it fixed today...which will require getting most of his hair cut off. I have always been of the mindset that you pick your battles and hair issues are just not one of the battles I choose to fight and I don't understand why it has become such a major ordeal between these two?

4 comments:

Big Doofus (Roger) said...

I don't get it, either. It's just hair. We DO have issues with pants that hang down so your underwear is showing and our 14 year old has to deal with it.

Claire said...

I am another "I don't get it, either," person. My son is 12, and has grown his hair out a bit. It's really beautiful, actually. He has thick, curly hair. On Friday, the kids had a debate, and his hair was getting in his eyes, so his sister trimmed it up. It looks really good, but he still didn't like it. Maybe he and Dakota are somehow related to Samson! :)

FYI, my 12yo doesn't like his forehead to show, either. I think they are just at a self-conscious age. Mine also likes to wear his "shell," a hoodie, even in hot weather. It's not hurting anyone, and he looks nice, so I just let it go. If he wants to cook in his clothes, that's his business (as long as he's wearing deodorant!)

My husband had relatively long hair when he was my son's age, so he doesn't have a problem with letting him grow it out. Our rule is just that it has to be clean and neat.

Rebekah said...

The boys dad is this way. Both boys have short hair anyway, but about every three weeks their dad asks me when I am going to get their hair cut.

I actually tried to get my 12 yr old to grow his hair out a little. It drove his dad nuts.

Unknown said...

BD - yeah, I agree with you! No droopy pants here either! I worked in an inner city high school a few years back teaching color guard in the band and those guys would have pants 3 sizes too big and would try to hold them up while marching! We made them stand at attention and their pants would fall to their ankles - everybody cracked up and laughed at them but they didn't care. So sad!

Claire - Yeah, I agree with you...I think they "hide" under their bangs. lol

Rebekah - every 3 weeks? Oh my goodness! I think we hit the beauty shop every 2 months. lol