Thursday, October 9, 2008

Can-Opening and Cake Baking In the midst of Chaos

Catchy title huh? LOL Bear with me here....this post is full of random thoughts.

Have you seen those nifty little One Touch can openers? I think they are probably sold in the "As Seen On TV" section in some stores (at least that's what I always think about when I see them...lol.)

Anyway, when we moved into our house we needed a can opener. I would have picked out the traditional under the counter number with the bag opener/ripper thing on it since I am forever having to grab my scissors to open up food bags that are sealed up tighter than Ft. Knox...BUT the decision wasn't mine alone and my darling husband picked up this little snazzy number.
Let me tell ya something - I am sooooooooo glad he got this! I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this can opener (once I figured out how to use it!) My biggest struggle to begin with was just not leaving the thing alone. I kept wanting to grab it before it was done and "help" it along. That's not how this thing works! You simply place it on top of your can, any can you want to open and push the black button and walk away...it will come to a complete stop on its own and turn off on its own when it is finished.
Then it just waits there resting comfortably on top of the can until you return to remove it and the lid - voila! Isn't that the neatest thing? Okay, it doesn't take much to humor me...but this really does have to be one of my favorite kitchen gadgets!
I have a very good friend who just had a baby last Friday. She has 2 boys already and she just had her 1st (and last) girl. I went and visited her Sunday evening in the hospital...of course her baby is just precious!! Today I went in with somebody else and we prepared dinner for my friend and her family. I made a vegetable and dessert. The dessert was this Banana Nut Cake - a new recipe for me that I found online today - it is awesome!

I am limited on pans and have no disposable pans big enough for a cake so I had to cut the cake up and put it on a couple of smaller plates to deliver it...so I didn't have to worry about getting my dish back from my friend. When I did this, there wasn't enough room for 4 pieces of the cake so those pieces just had to stay here at my house....notice there are three pieces in the pan? Umm, yeah, did I mention the cake was DELICIOUS?!!!
I am normally an extremely organized person. Ask me where something is and I can put my finger on it because I have a place for everything and everything in its place...that is until we moved into our house! With purchasing the house at the end of August, we have been overwhelmed with paperwork and I have let it take over...
I keep saying everyday I am going to tackle this forever growing mound of paperwork...yet I procrastinate. Today I received a bill in the mail and after going over with it a fine tooth comb I am questioning the amount but in order to be sure of something I have to dig through this "mess" to find last month's bill. **Sighhhhhhh** I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow.

We have a small front porch...today I put out my Fall decorations. Dakota doesn't like it. He wants scary. I told him "I don't DO scary!" I like it! I especially love the yellow flowers - they are huge!

3 comments:

Claire said...

That cake looks awesome! And I love your can opener. What is the world coming to when we can rave about a can opener?! :-)

FYI, your paper mess? That is my life. My house needs a huge cleaning out...I am just so ill-equipped to do it. However, we have having a party soon, and it will get cleaned up before then. Nothing like company to make you clean.

Mariah said...

Hi I love your blog you can come check mine out if you want.

Rebekah said...

the cakes looks yummy- and I think I am going to try and find me one of those can openers.

I left you an award over at my place--- or at least I am trying to. It will be there if I ever get the darn thing published