Thursday, March 20, 2008

Grandchildren

One of my twin daughters lives in Hawaii with her Navy husband and their two sons, Allan & Nathan (my grandsons.) It's been right at a year since I've seen them. This is the longest we've gone without seeing one another. I've been missing them a lot lately.

Before they moved to Hawaii they lived in Sugar Grove, WV which was a 12-14 hour drive from where I live. But I made that drive several times a year because I love spending time with my daughter and her boys. When her youngest son was 9 mos old he was put in the hospital for 3 days and tested for leukemia, cancer, cerebal palsy and assorted other diseases because he was "failing to thrive" at the time. My mother and I dropped everything and drove straight through the night to get up there to be with them to watch Allan and offer support. It's so hard dealing with them living so far away now and realizing it's been a year since I've seen my sweet grandsons.
This is Allan as he looks now - his mommy cut all his hair off so he could look like his daddy. This was the day he had his adenoids removed a month or so back. He handled things pretty well. He just turned 4 in December and he'll be starting school in Hawaii this year.
This is mommy's boy Nathan. He'll be turning 3 in July. After he scared us when he was 9 mos old by "failing to thrive" and not gaining weight for several months all of a sudden after much prayer his blood work and tests began showing up normal and he perfectly fine now. He's a little ham now!
This is Allan last January (2007) at the beach here in FL. He was so used to all the snow in West Virginia and being able to make snow angels that when he saw the white sand we have at the beach he dropped down and began making "snow" angels. He hurt his head though because this "snow" wasn't as soft as the snow in WV!
This is what Nathan looked like the last time I saw him last January - he was so little! I can't believe how much he has grown up this last year. He is chattering away now and will talk to me on the phone and on the computer webcam. I am still praying I'll be able to get out to Hawaii to see Felicia, Will and the boys this summer.

No comments: