Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Creative Correction

I started teaching a new Ladies Bible Study back in February called "Creative Correction" by Lisa Whelchel. You'll remember her from that TV show "The Facts of Life."
"You take the good,
You take the bad,
You take them both and there you have the facts of life.
The facts of life..."

Haha, now you're going to be humming the theme song in your head all day! Okay, I digress - back to my original intent of this post. This is a 7 week study if you include the Intro week. We are in week 4. I have enjoyed this Bible study immensely!

The only problem I have now is Dakota heard me talking about some of the "methods/correction ideas" Lisa suggested using - many of which I would like to begin implementing - and when he heard me talking about this he said "yeah, I hear you, don't even try it! That's stupid!" LOL

This may sound rude and disrespectful but Dakota is neither of these. What he is is lazy when it comes to chores and schoolwork which is my fault for being so laid back and now I am trying to figure out how to change that without being a complete tyrant about things. I love this approach so much because she focuses on our relationship with God being the same as our children's relationship with us. We are to God as our children are to us - therefore they mirror what they see. Boy talk about a kick in the pants!

She also gives great ideas for creative correction based on scripture that we should show our children so they understand we want them to follow God's commands the same way WE are following His commands so in essence they are learning to follow, love and serve HIM and not just us.

No comments: