Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Spoiled Dogs; Neglected husband

There are many varieties of commercial dog foo...Image via Wikipedia

One of Dakota's chores is to feed our dogs every evening. Greg feeds them every morning. I feed Greg and Dakota...there is plenty of food in the cabinets and refrigerator. Oddly enough, Dakota goes to feed our dogs last night and tells me "mom, there's not enough food left to feed both dogs."
See where I'm going with this??

I don't look in the closet where the dog food is kept - ever - because there is no need for me to look in there, so I had no idea we were running out of food. I will say, on Greg's behalf, he is normally very good at keeping up with that but he's been extremely busy at work lately and a little preoccupied.

Anyway, last night I told Dakota to mix up the cup of food with water and we would divide it between the two dogs and I would just get some more food today. Greg came home from work late and I sat at the table chatting with him while he ate his dinner. Once he was done eating we sat there and continued talking.

While I was listening to him I got up and pulled out a couple of chicken breasts from the refrigerator and popped them in the microwave and started cooking some rice and boiling some carrots. Greg gave me a strange look and asked me what I was doing. I told him I was making the dogs breakfast. He said "WHAT?!" LOL

I have to back up a little bit and explain why my dear husband would have this reaction -

My sweet husband and I have just recently been teasing back and forth about the fact that he gets up every morning and makes his breakfast. This is something he has just started doing in the last few months. For several years he has preferred to throw a Hot Pocket in the microwave or a Pop Tart in the toaster and be on his merry way. But the last few months he has started making bacon, eggs, toast, biscuits, breakfast pizzas, etc every morning...and if I'm awake he brings me a plate in bed. When he brought me a plate last week, he said "Okay, there is something wrong with this picture...I'm the one going to work and you are getting served breakfast in bed."

Why don't I cook breakfast for him? Several reasons...
I don't mind cooking for him; in fact I enjoy cooking. But he likes to experiment and try new things and that's pretty much the only chance he gets to cook is breakfast time because I cook all the other meals. He wakes up way before he has to be at work so he is not rushing around - he has plenty of time in the mornings and if he ever doesn't have the time and needs my help he just asks and I am there to pitch in. We only live 2 miles from his office so he could come home for a home-cooked lunch every day if he wanted to (when I am more awake) but he chooses not to do that. I never expect him to cook anything for me in the mornings. If he does, that's nice. If he doesn't, I make my own - we eat different things anyway. I eat a lot of oatmeal and fruit and yogurt and he doesn't eat any of that type of stuff.

So now, back to the dogs...my whole line of thinking was to make it easier on the dogs (and Greg) in the morning. They were going to be hungry like they are every morning and they would be prancing around begging for their food. If he didn't feed them he would constantly be tripping over them the whole time he was trying to get ready for work. I thought if I went ahead and prepared their meal ahead of time, Greg could pop it in the microwave to heat it up and go ahead and feed them and then I could get to the store today to buy some more dog food. Once I explained it to him that way he understood and thanked me!

I happened to be up this morning and took care of the dogs myself and I must say...they have never eaten quite so fast before...guess they enjoyed their breakfast of rice, chicken and carrots! While I was heating up their food, Greg was making breakfast for us...biscuits and eggs - I enjoyed my breakfast too!! :-)

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: