Thursday, May 7, 2009

Diamonds & Blue Topaz

The SPRING IN BLOOM NecklaceImage by jewelsbyldesigns via Flickr

I've never considered myself a materialistic gal. In fact I've always tried to make sure I don't get attached to "things" by routinely weeding out and getting rid of my stuff.

If I haven't worn something in my closet over the last year I give it to Goodwill. Books that I don't read within a year or two I re-sell on eBay or Amazon. Less is best because that's just less I have to dust around and find a place for.

BUT...don't ya hate that word 'but'...BUT I found out a few months ago that a few things really meant a lot to me and I have actually been mourning the loss of these items.

My husband likes giving me jewelry. He has given me lots of jewelry throughout our 14 years of marriage. My birthstone is Blue Topaz. Greg has given me rings, necklaces and earrings with blue topaz and diamonds in them. I had so many beautiful rings I couldn't wear them all at once and I chose to wear my two favorite ones most of the time.

After we moved into our new home back in August I looked in my small jewelry box to get a ring I had not worn in a while. It was gone. I looked all over for it and couldn't find it. After further inspection (over the next month) I realized every one of my diamonds/blue topaz jewelry pieces was gone! All my earrings, necklaces, rings...all of them. We talked about this with my mom, because we had been living in her house before we moved out, and there was another family member living there at the same time that I suspected had taken all of these items. This family member is now in jail - on another charge unrelated to my jewelry - but he denies taking anything of course.

I keep telling myself it's just "things" and to let it go...but it's really hard - those items were hand-picked from my husband for me and really meant something to me. I just don't understand why people think they have the right to take what's not theirs...BUT that's a post/soapbox for another day isn't it?
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: