Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Bird Feeders

Next weekend will be one year of being in our house!! Yeah!! Shortly after we moved in, Greg surprised me one weekend when I went to visit Tina in GA by putting up a bird feeder for me in the back yard. Now I have three!
I love to get up every morning, open the blinds and watch all the birds flying back and forth between the bird feeders, the fence and the trees. When I'm really lucky I'll catch one or two taking a bath in my birdbath I put out there as well.
We have so many varieties of birds that come into the yard in varying sizes and colors - they are beautiful! I had to take these pictures through my windows hence the reason they are so fuzzy.
I was having a real problem with squirrels getting into the large feeder until I started purchasing safflower seed instead of bird food with sunflower seeds in it...the squirrels don't care for the safflower seed but the birds tear through it - they LOVE it!

Another deterrent that's helped with the squirrels is Raven - my little hunter dog! Haha, I'm so evil. If I happen to see a squirrel in the back yard or getting close to my bird feeders I call Raven to the back door and get her excited by telling her "Go get 'em Raven!!" She's literally doing circles in the air by the time I open the door and let her out and she takes off through the yard after the squirrels. It's hilarious watching the squirrels trying to get away from her and her guarding them! Ahhh, it's the little things in life isn't it?


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Congrats on the 'One Year'