Thursday, February 28, 2008

Sportsmen Spectacular

Our church has an annual outreach event we just finished up last weekend. It's called the Sportsmen Spectacular. This year makes the 7th year we have done this. When we first started we held this event in our church until we outgrew that and had to change venues. So we moved to one of the buildings at the Fairgrounds. We've been out there the last 4 years - but after last year we had to move to an even bigger building for this year's event! It was so exciting to see the crowds this year! The doors opened at 4:30 and the people were lined up by the hundreds out the door waiting to get inside.
(Greg and Mac Seibert)

Mac was the guest speaker this year. He's an old friend of ours we used to attend church with about 10 years ago. I taught his oldest son in Sunday School when he was 4 years old and now his son is taller than me! (Gotta love those moments...haha) Mac is a former Major League Baseball scout and now the manager of our local Pensacola Pilots baseball team. He is a very Godly man and God used his testimony last weekend to touch many lives at the event.


We charge $7.00 per person for dinner (pulled pork, rice, beans, corn on the cob, homemade banana pudding for dessert and a variety of drinks.) We had over 90 door prizes (knives, guns, hunting gear, fishing gear, camping gear) to give away with the last and best prize being a 4-wheeler. All of the door prizes are donated every year.

My job this year was photographer! I love to take pictures so I got to walk around the whole evening and take all the pictures. Greg's job was to shuttle people back and forth from the parking lot in the golf cart. When he got done with that he came and relieved me from picture duty so I could eat something (and he snapped this one picture of me and my good friend Nancy.)
Wish I could take credit for this neat picture with the deer head all lined up (and lit up) in the background but dear hubby took this picture....I thought it looked so cool!

I think at the end of this evening we had 38 people accept Christ. :-)

No comments: