Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Make it Yourself Mondays

Angie at Thrifty Florida Mama is hosting "Make it Yourself Monday" to help our budgets by becoming less dependent on fast food drive-thrus and convenience items at the store. My contribution this week (yeah, I know it's Tuesday and not Monday --I forgot about it yesterday) but my recipe for the week is actually one I got from another blogger, Monica at The Full Table. I got her recipe for homemade pizza crust a while back and have made this several times - my family loves it!! I use different vegetables, chicken, bacon - whatever toppings I have on hand.

Crust:
1 cup of warm water
1 package of active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 2/12- 3 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add all other ingredients. Stir 20 times to mix. Let rise 20 minutes.

Sauce:
8 oz can tomato sauce
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. Italian spice blend

Spread dough thinly on large cookie sheet. Top with sauce, 3 cups mozzarella cheese, and additional toppings as desired. Our favorite is mushrooms and sausage.

Bake at 450 on lowest rack for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted.

3 comments:

Marcy said...

Sounds yummy! I am always looking for new crust recipes to try (haven't found that "perfect" one yet) so I'm looking forward to trying this one out! :)

Rebekah said...

Yum! I am going to have make this. For a while, I had the boys pick, plan and prepare a meal for dinner. Josh always wants to make pizza- but I dont count sticking a frozen pizza in the over "cooking"

Unknown said...

Marcy - it is really easy and with all the different toppings makes such a delicious pizza! My family loves it!

Rebekah - Sounds like Josh is taking the easy way out huh? LOL We used to do this with our kids when they were small too - I need to do this with Dakota now!